V10 Material Library...

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Alex

Re: V10 Material Library...

Post by Alex » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 am

Hello Tesselaar,

i already tried the reset thing. Thankyfully SC9 is still installed and I can use it for productive work :D , while SC10 seems to be a bit buggy on basic functions in contrast to SC9 where things worked. I think is is connected to move to a new backend architecture of simlab composer.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 am

Yes, we kept V9 too.. V10 is still a bit buggy, but it will soon be stable... Despite a few issues, Simlab Composer is still amazing software and has no equal...

Tesselaar..

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 pm

So I reinstalled 10.8 (repair option), downloaded and installed the material library, updated the icons. Simlab asks me, that the library has changed and i click yes.

After opening SC 10.8 again, material library is gone and I have to download it again :(

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:00 am

Exactly the same what happened to us.. But it finally fixed itself.. We could see the zip files being added to the folder.. We could see the extracted folder.. But as soon as we closed Composer 10, and reopened it, the reopening process did a clean out and reset the folder to empty.. It took us a few days to get it to remain.. It drove me nuts!!.. :evil:

I would suggest to do a total clean out of V10.. Remove all of it.. ALL APP FOLDERSs. But not V10 sim files you have created.. Reboot.. Turn out.. Turn on.. Then reinstall.. Then try to download and install the materials. See what happens..

We have suggested to Simlab that the download process be split.. The entire download is FAAAAAR TOOO BIIIIIG!!.. Split the download. The first download to just a few meg, to get it working.. Then have the download arrow things to download the materials to add them, a bit like the Environments and Objects, BUT bigger groups.. Metals, Ceramics, Woods etc. It worked OK using our Windows little laptop OK, but using a Mac, it took for ever.. And we have High Speed NBN Broadband.. So I would hate to be someone with slow internet.. Many countries do not have high speed..

Tesselaar..

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:27 am

This is why I haven't upgraded to V10.

At beta, I had to download all the assets, materials, hdrs, objects etc again.

As Tesslar says, I have a 2mb download connection and it literally took me days. If I pointed my v10 beta to my v9 directories it scrubbed them clean and thus rendered my v9 useless too. Luckily I had backups or I'd have lost all the assets I'd created like bespoke materials, hdrs etc I'd created. Very few people have a backup regime and I imagine that a lot of negative reviews will emerge with new users once they have lost all their work a couple of times due to this bug.

As the v10 release is unstable I cannot risk losing so much down time to switch over. Until this issue is resolved I cannot recommend Simlab to anyone nor can I contemplate spending money on upgrades for non- functional software.

In my opinion, Simlab really need to look at the migration of existing user assets from older versions to v10 as a real priority and the stability of the assets database and file handling system or risk losing their customer base with a major fault in their software.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:47 am

Hi.. While we do agree that the migration of user custom assets from previous versions is really necessary and very important, since we lost all of our custom 3D objects trying to copy them over to V10. If we were a company, it would have been disastrous..

We do however, disagree that V10 is too unstable to use. We have given V10 a really good workout these past few weeks. Sure, there needs to be some improvements, and we have pointed some of them out, but on the whole V10 is very stable.. The only way that Simlab can be apprised of any issues, is by users finding them as they use the software. As long as you keep V9 as a working stable software, there is nothing wrong in giving V10 a through workout.. As far as we are concerned, we would encourage anyone to use V10 as much as possible.. Then report any issues to support@simlab-soft.com were a ticket will be created and feedback will be given.

No one will benefit by not using V10.. We all benefit by finding issues, reporting them, and enjoying the outcomes of any improvements.

Tesselaar.

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 am

Tessealar - I broadly agree, but the time for testing and giving the software a thorough workout as you describe it was in Beta. I am very supportive of Simlab and have been for many years - recommending it to many people - but, regretably, I do think this release has come out half baked. It is with genuine concern and support for Simlab Soft that I say I believe V10 was released too early, with the best intentions and enthusiasm to get the new features to users.

In a commercial environment, we don't have the time and resource to load, uninstall, reload, download, re-install, start from scratch with 'vanilla' install whenever we reboot etc. If I open software, I don't expect to have to wait for a day to be able to use it (as I had to do with V10 waiting on material libraries to repeatedly download) and asking users to adopt this development cycle for fully relesaed software will only damage (with some people irrepably) Simlab's reputation. It does make me sad as I genuinely am very supportive of this software house :(

But commercially it may prove to be a mistake. I must confess if I was Simlab, I'd be tempted to revert to the last V9 on the website as for the point of sale version as this will not frustrate new purchasers and users and then return V10 to a broader more thorough Beta release for V9 users. Then the likes of us can test, report and assist in the development without it reflecting badly on Simlab. If you release 10 seats of good software, you'll perhaps find 2 people who will make the effort to write a positive review. If you release 10 seats of bad software that people have paid for, you will pretty much get 10 negative reviews back.

There is a confidentiality agreement in place where we took part in the Beta testing, so I can't say too much about faults reported during that. But I can say the beta period was very short - just over a week - and because of library issues I genuinely only managed to log probably a dozen hours testing the Beta before it expired and the software was released. If I am typical of Beta users then it's not been given a proper shakedown.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 pm

First off all, we truly appreciate your support.

Testing period for Composer 10 was larger than earlier releases.
Locakdowns and work from home measures during testing may have affected Composer 10.
But the real issue here is Composer 10 is really a big release, almost all aspects were touched, you are seeing part of it, and many things will appear with the continuous updates we are working on.

We can not, and did not intend to go back to Composer 9 for sure :D

Composer 10 is so much more fun to use.

As a pro user you can install version 9 and 10 together on the same machine, they should not affect each other.

We listen and we try to solve issues as soon as we can.

We hope the material issue is fixed in the Composer 10.9 just released which should fix the reset option.

Just in case if you want to use Composer 10 and you are facing an issue with material library, let us know (by now we really hope you will not get it)

But you can install Composer 9 material library (at this point they are identical, we will start updating 10 library) but at this point they are the same

You can install it from the following link keep it.

Composer 10 if no library was found it allows you either to download and install, or install directly, so this should save huge amount of time.

We can not be thankful enough, and we are working hard contentiously to fix things as soon as we can, we promise Composer 10 will make you forget about other options.

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Thank you very much! Just installed SC10.9 (win) and the material library is still there after reopening SC :)

And yes, I very like the support you give to us customer. I admire the direct feedback we can receive by you on this forum. keep up the good work! :D

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 am

As for us two, we absolutely love Simlab Composer. We think we have been using it since V3, but it was very basic... V10 is amazing!.. Each and every new version Composer gets better and betters and more fun to use. The Simulation features is easy and absolutely fun use and to see a model animate. And often challenging to get it to work. Composer can allow the users to be very very creative.. I guess if Simlab Composer is not up to some peoples industry standards, there is always 3DVIA, which is great, but limited it what it can do, and cost an absolute fortune! No teacher version either.. Then there is Solidworks, that too cost a fortune. I guess it all comes down to needs.. What you need the software for.. As for Simlab Composer being used in industry. Well, tell me another software app that's cost as little, with as many features as Composer has.. Simlab Composer is a very unique software app.. It has no equal. Sure, there are failings. We find them all the time and report them, but hey, its still under continuous development.. Our advise is, just use it, and have fun in using it.. We have created 3D VR Games.. How amazing is that!!!

Tesselaar..