VR package file size for mobiles and tablets

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Tessla

Re: VR package file size for mobiles and tablets

Post by Tessla » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:56 am

Hi.. ZIP the file.. That will work, but if too big it will not upload.. Better to upload to a server and allow it to be downloaded by providing a url..

As for the camera, I think that is data from Inventor.. Just delete it. I get that from some software..

Simlab will have other advise for you.. But better to send your query to support@simlab-soft.com where a ticket will be created and a tech person will look into it..

Tesselaar..

soni

Post by soni » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:27 am

Tessla wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:56 am
Hi.. ZIP the file.. That will work, but if too big it will not upload.. Better to upload to a server and allow it to be downloaded by providing a url..

As for the camera, I think that is data from Inventor.. Just delete it. I get that from some software..

Simlab will have other advise for you.. But better to send your query to support@simlab-soft.com where a ticket will be created and a tech person will look into it..

Tesselaar..
Hi,

By "uploading to a server", did you mean creating a WEBGL. i did create one for much larger projects but it has been unpacking forever since the last 12 hours. so i stopped it thinking smaller file sizes need to be created.

smaller projects work fine but its mainly larger projects i have issues - VR package files (more than 100MB) take about half an hour to open up on my desktop and VR headset and never open on mobiles. also webgl are unpacking forever.

thats when i wanted to reduce the file sizes and my queries started.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 am

No, not WebGL.. WebGL is just a player media format.. It is java based so it has to be uploaded to a web sever to view. They need a web server to work. Simlab have local player to download for free but only for Windows...

What I mean about a web severer is file space on domain server. There are some for free and some ISPs give you a free space too.. Ask your internet provider if you have free web space. You need to use an FTP software to upload to the web sever.. But I am guessing you do not have that. If you are going to use WebGL, they cannot be viewed locally, they will just keep trying to load..

My VR Packages are between 300mb to 400mb.. They open quite quickly.. I have just uploaded mine to my server space to share with Simlab, unit the VR Showroom is working as it should.

If you need to reduce the file size is just to view WebGL locally, it will never happen unless they are uploaded to a web server or viewed using a web viewer.. Its nothing to do with file size..

Tesselaar..

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 am

This should help you..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWlGPw3cOiU

Tesselaar..
Attachments
SimLab_WebGL_Starter_v1.0.exe.zip
(14.34 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 am

I know it's not the main item on this topic - but Simlab mentioned that webGL files won't open locally and he's right if you just try to open them in a browser window. There are two ways round this if you want to test your webGL files without having to load them up, one is to run Chrome in Developer as a server, the other is to use Simlab's own tool - 'Simlab webGL starter' and just drag the HTML file into this. Not sure if this tool is available for MAC, but it certainly works on a windows PC great.

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:56 am

oops - just noticed Tessla has posted same thing - :D