What am I doing wrong.?

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Tessla

What am I doing wrong.?

Post by Tessla » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:35 am

Hi Simlab. I have a model where I added Gem texture, the model has holes in it, where I would like to see light rays shine out of the holes. I have tried every single light set at very high, yet the render or preview render does not show any light.. Basically, adding a light makes no difference at all.. What might I be doing wrong..??

Tesselaar..
Attachments
NoLight.jpg
SimLab.jpg

Tessla

Re: What am I doing wrong.?

Post by Tessla » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:48 pm

I added 3 different types of lights.. Set on very high.. No lights made any difference at all... Not in the render of the preview render.. I cannot see the lights changing brightness at all, no matter what setting... We are confused.. :roll:

Tesselaar..

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi Tesla. I dont know about in v10, but certainly I know in v9 the 'max' on the lights slider wasnt enough to make lights show in some of my models

What I had to do was slide the slider to 'max' and then overtype the numerical value - say by a factor of 10 at a time. So if once you slide the light power to max the numerical value is say 200, try overtyping it with 2000 and try a quick render. If this doesn't work try 20000 and hone in on a value that works.

Its really surprising how much beyond 'max' you have to go to get lights to work I've found - might be something to do with import scales I think.
Give this a try. :D

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:40 am

Yes, but I had mine set on 80000, but still no light... No difference between 80000 and 0.. It used to work... Something is wrong.. We used to be able to see the light strength and the when using a spot light the cone dispersement of light.. But we get nothing now.. I might try an older version of SLC.. It might be an issue with V10..

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:30 am

No wonder we had so many issues with rendering glass or games in V9<.. V10 is sooo much better.. However, we added a Point Light and other lights, and we can move the lights and they shine their rays of light in the scene.. So it works fine.. If we place a Point Light inside our dome twist, rays of light shapes shine out onto the ground-plane, as we wanted it to do. The rendering quality in V9 is horrible..but beautiful in V10...

We would strongly suggest to everyone who can, to update to V10.. Its so much better than V9. We can change the lights just by clicking on the types. Many of the features in Simlab Composer are things we have asked over the years.. Perhaps they were already in Simlab thought to add, but what we suggest makes sense to add.. JUST LIKE OTHER SUGGESTIONS NOT YET ADDED!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: But we are certain Simlab will see the LIGHT and add them... :lol: :lol:

Rendering objects using glass or gem textures, was always hard for us. We thought it was what we were doing wrong.. It seemed to take for ever to achieve a nice realistic result. Nice, but never what we really wanted.. However, V10 is HEAPS better.. Download the Trail and see..!

So, the question remains, why are the lights NOT working in V10... Did Simlab pay their power bill!!! :lol: :lol:

We will create a new project and test more...

Tesselaar..

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:45 am

Well, I started a new test project, now I have the issue of faaaar to much light.. In fact, the controller made no difference at all.. All I had was a ground plane, with one light. I can change the lights easily and I tested them all.. I set them to 0 but they still have the power of the sun.. We do not understand.. No light in our project and too much light in a blank scene no objects at all.. In our project, we have a light in the scene, set to over 80000 but it makes no difference at all.. If I remove the light or not.. Yet in the other test scene, the lights was set to 0 and there was far too much light.. emmmmmm

Tesselaar..
Attachments
Light80000.jpg

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:18 am

So I tried V8... The rendering is not a nice as V10 but at least the lighting works.. I can see the light shining on the surface..

I will try to up the light in V10 to a 10000 times hotter than the sun... :?

Tesselaar..
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:59 am

Hi...

I added 4 Point Lights... Set at 999999 each, that is the max.. Prior to rendering we needed thick sun glasses :lol: :lol: .. The rendering now has light shining out of the dome twist glass... We would never have thought that we needed 4 set so high.. Its not quite what we wanted but as least its better now..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:02 am

This light array is what we really wanted, but this is from V8 and the rendering has other issues using V8.. No where near as nice as from V10.. We will keep trying..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 am

There is a fine line between reflecting light and reflecting the object.. If too much object reflection, no reflection of light can be seen.. We do not pretend to understand the thinking behind this.. It might be down to science of light and reflection..

This image is without refection.. .. Ground materials and environments and much more, all play a part in the final render..
There is no one setting fits all..

Tesselaar....
Attachments
FinalGlassTwist-1.jpg