Instructions?

Discuss Simlab 3D Plugins developed for Google Sketchup
gree0099

Instructions?

Postby gree0099 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:32 am

I purchased the sketchup 3d pdf plugin and have a number of questions:

1.is there any tutorials or instructions that can walk me through all of the idiosyncrasies of the program. if not you may want to create one because there are a lot of idiosyncrasies.
2.is there any way to show illustration mode with out seeing the hidden geometry?
3.i can't seem to render anything mildly dark without it turning almost black. see attachment. any suggestions? In fact, anything i render with a brown texture it turns out much much darker than pictured in sketchup while normal colors appear as they should.
4.do i need a specific version of sketchup for the plugin to work correctly?
5. is there anyway to set up different lighting or increase the brightness of the indirect box light? what does "lights from file" mean? and why can't i select it?
6. how is the model tree organized? it seems to be both groups and components as well as materials. please explain.

please help soon as i am working on a deadline.
Attachments
test 3.pdf
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 380 times

SimLab

Re: Instructions?

Postby SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Hello,

Those are good questions.

is there any tutorials or instructions that can walk me through all of the idiosyncrasies of the program. if not you may want to create one because there are a lot of idiosyncrasies.

Please find attached the manual for describing the plug-in.
Note: the SKetchUp and Rhino plugins share the same manual as they were built on the same technology

i can't seem to render anything mildly dark without it turning almost black. see attachment. any suggestions? In fact, anything i render with a brown texture it turns out much much darker than pictured in sketchup while normal colors appear as they should.

Each application has its own way dealing with materials, in sketchup for example when you have a material with Color and Texture, they ignore the base color, while in Actobat reader they add the colors, so if you have an object with wood texture and brown color it ends very dark, so for those objects please change the color to be white.

do i need a specific version of sketchup for the plugin to work correctly?

The plugin works with SketchUp 7 and 7.1 both the free and professional version

how is the model tree organized? it seems to be both groups and components as well as materials. please explain.

The first thing that determines the models tree is the compoenents, if you want to have clean model tree that you can share, create a component that cobmines the objects you want to be under the same branch
Attachments
SimLab_plugin_help.pdf
(472.37 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Last edited by SimLab on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:17 pm

is there any way to show illustration mode with out seeing the hidden geometry?

You should be able to do that from the 3D section -> Default Render Mode -> Illustration

is there anyway to set up different lighting or increase the brightness of the indirect box light? what does "lights from file" mean? and why can't i select it?

No not at this point, though if you change the color as described in the previous post you should not need that.

I am not sure where are you getting the option Lights from File, can you please inform me

gree0099

Postby gree0099 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 pm

i can't seem to render anything mildly dark without it turning almost black. see attachment. any suggestions? In fact, anything i render with a brown texture it turns out much much darker than pictured in sketchup while normal colors appear as they should.

Each application has its own way dealing with materials, in sketchup for example when you have a material with Color and Texture, they ignore the base color, while in Actobat reader they add the colors, so if you have an object with wood texture and brown color it ends very dark, so for those objects please change the color to be white.

thanks for the quick response.
but this isn't really applicable to sketchup. the color that i think you're referring to ("color" and "texture" adjustments under the edit tab of the materials menu) is automatically associated with the the given texture image. if i make the color brighter it changes the whole appearance of the texture. i mean, yes, after tinkering with the texture i can get it to render with the about the right color, but this is a less than optimal solution because i have to change all of my textures to export, and because the rendered color has no correlation with the sketchup model.

or am i mistaken on which "color" you're talking about?

gree0099

Postby gree0099 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:08 pm

SimLab wrote:is there any way to show illustration mode with out seeing the hidden geometry?

You should be able to do that from the 3D section -> Default Render Mode -> Illustration

i am talking about rendering in shaded illustration mode and not seeing the edges that are hidden in sketchup. for example if i render a sphere it shows each individual polygon that makes up that sphere even though all of those edges have been smoothed out in SU. see the attachment.
What i am looking for is a way to render solid without lighting, much the same way that you see in sketchup.

SimLab wrote:is there anyway to set up different lighting or increase the brightness of the indirect box light? what does "lights from file" mean? and why can't i select it?

No not at this point, though if you change the color as described in the previous post you should not need that.

I am not sure where are you getting the option Lights from File, can you please inform me

the "lights from file" is the top option in the lighting drop down menu. though you can't select it. it's greyed out.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

In the next release we should give the user the ability to automatically ignore colors on materials with textures so he/she does not need to change the material properties.

The light optionis described is a SketchUp setting and it has no effect on the generated 3D PDF file.

Regarding the illustration view, it is generated from the triangulation, by removing some of the edges based on the angle between the adjacent faces, so if the angle is less than 30 degrees for example the edge is removed. I will check if this value can be controlled.

Return to “Sketchup Plugins”