Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Meilziner

Where do lights work?

Post by Meilziner » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:29 am

Confusing and frustrating. So far I have determined that:
Point lights do appear in rendering but not VR
Area lights do not work in standard rendering nor VR
Spotlights do render but don't work in VR
Directional light work! But are not very useful.
ies lights render and work in VR. Yes!
I have no idea when portals work.

This seems to be a lot of instruments that don't work in a lot of situations. Is there something I am missing that would allow something as simple as a point light to work consistently?

SimLab

Re: Where do lights work?

Post by SimLab » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Can you try to increase power light of point light and see effect.
They should work on rendering and VR

So does other lights

In 10.19 we are working on making sure similar effect at same value works for both VR, Render, inside Composer, and 3D PDF works

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:35 pm

Hey simlab, if you are reworking some parts of the lights I have an annoying bug:

When I do my projects, I model different variations of the product within the same file. I export it from Rhino to Simlab and then i hide everything except the current productvariation I want to render. After the shot, I hide the first product and render the 2nd and so on.

This works good on simple models with hide / unhide. But when I try to hide a light emitting object or a spotlight, there ist still a faint glow of the hidden light. Maybe you can fix this? :) Thank you very much!

Meilziner

Post by Meilziner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:48 pm

I have increased the values to over 8k lms and not so much as a glimmer. Renders are burned to nearly pure white. I will try again with even more ridiculous values. Is there a best render setting for VR? Interior sun? Interior lights?

sbecker777

Post by sbecker777 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:03 pm

I have found in VR that IES lights must be set to a value of 1 or they are way too bright. Point lights for me in VR should be around 100-150 for reasonable brightness.