For those of you having problems with Textures !

SimLab plugins for 3D / CAD applications
Philippe

For those of you having problems with Textures !

Post by Philippe » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi everyone !

If you're having trouble with your textures here are some tips that might help you :

1) SETUP YOUR RENDERER
In 3DS Max go to Render Setup (F10) > "Common" tab > Assign Renderer > choose "Default Scanline Renderer"
Other renderers are NOT supported for now

2) USE STANDARD MATERIALS ONLY
Only use Standard Materials - other material types (such as Mental Ray or V-Ray) are NOT supported for now

3) CHECK YOUR TEXTURES' SIZE AND YOUR UV MAPS
It may happen that your textures' size and position in the 3D PDF file don't match what you see in 3DS Max's viewport.
I found a solution to this problem, but it's more a workaround than an ideal solution. :?

- For some reason the PDF Exporter Plugin doesn't take into account the textures's image size or tiling ratio in 3DSMax's Material Editor : it looks like it automatically brings back the Tiling ratio to 1/1 during export...
- So in order to get the tiling right : put the texture Tiling back to a ratio of 1/1 in the material editor, then apply a UVW Unwrap modifier to your model
- Rescale the UVs until the texture matches your needs in the viewport

4) BREAK UP A SINGLE LARGE MESH INTO SEVERAL SMALLER ONES
I noticed that if I tried to export a mesh made of tens of thousands of polygons, the slice plane in the 3D PDF wouldn't work properly = it will cut the geometry but NOT the texture, making the slice plane completely useless.
In order to avoid this, make sure you have several separate small meshes instead of a very large one.

I hope this will help !
;)
Freelance 3D artist - www.fairview-3d.com

G@rry

Re: For those of you having problems with Textures !

Post by G@rry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:30 pm

WOW, I wish I knew this before my purchase.

DBurke3D

Post by DBurke3D » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:29 pm

It seems that the exporter only works with standard (legacy) materials but not physical materials. Is this correct? I need to export PBR textures. How would I do this without using a PBR material workflow?

Thanks

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:33 am

You are correct.

We will work on supporting PBR material

Is their a way to make PBR to legacy materials?
The other option is to use SimLab Composer

DBurke3D

Post by DBurke3D » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi SimLab,

I want to offer you helpful advice before I revert to solutions which support PBR;

1. My posts were moderated, but perhaps this was only because I'm a new user? Your forums here seem dead, so hopefully you're not moderating every post before it's up. Moderating after-the-fact makes sense of course.

2. You need to support a PBR workflow. This should be priority number one. It's 2020 and everything is PBR now and has been for years. Your software seems promising but is ultimately useless to many of us without it. Standard materials don't even have the correct slots, such as roughness, metalness, etc. So, this should be top priority. Ideally, one should be able to make a Substance Painter preset for SimLab and have SimLab be able to achieve the same look. There are free tools which already support PBR but I would pay for a nice 3D Composition tool where I can put everything in one place and export glTF and USDZ from one source using different scale factors as-needed.

3. You should make it very clear that your plugins don't support a PBR workflow on your shop page. I would have been very upset if I found all this out after paying $99. Thankfully your trial allowed me to see the limitations of the plugin and your post here confirmed it, but I wasted time having to figure this out. It's not clear what they do support, or how one should set up materials. This should all be explained on the shop page. You don't have enough information on your website for any of your products or questions which a pro user might ask.

Support PBR well and I'll be back for a paid purchase.

4. Your sales/store page has extremely limited information for the export plugins. There's pretty much nothing there. You need to work on this. Explain the software. Have some tutorial videos, talk about something. Really the sales page is just way too spartan right now. Explain clearly what the software can and cannot do. A video showcasing start to finish usage would be very helpful.

The SimLab Composer page has more info but totally skips any mention of PBR workflow support. Does it support PBR or not? This is a key question to answer and emphasize.

Thanks. I'm going to continue to use other means to export USDZ, but you have a unique opportunity to do well with these plugins if you support a true PBR workflow. I'm not even sure when or why anyone would use the old workflow but for some novelty. PBR is the way to go.

Good luck and thanks!

Dan

P.S. Your site has a typo on the SimLab Composer Buy page(s). 'Permenant' should be spelled 'Permanent'.
Last edited by DBurke3D on Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.

DBurke3D

Post by DBurke3D » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:40 pm

SimLab wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:33 am
You are correct.

We will work on supporting PBR material

Is their a way to make PBR to legacy materials?
The other option is to use SimLab Composer
I can't seem to find this information anywhere;

Does SimLab Composer support a PBR workflow?

Thanks.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am

We moderate first message from the user to prevent spam.